Sunday, April 12, 2009

Gifts to Celebrities? Nascar Drivers? PPL you admire???

My husband and I were talking about why a %26quot;fan%26quot; gives a gift??? Princess Diana received SO MANY flowers and stuffed animals during her walk-abouts. (I read somewhere that she always donated the items to a local hospital) We send gifts to Nascar drivers, and our favorite actors....why?


Is it a way of connecting? Sharing? Showing this person that you admire them???


I am not talking about being a psycho-stalker fan here...let%26#039;s assume that the fans are mentally healthy:)


I am sure I will get plenty of smart-a** answers...but I am really curious about this. So obviously, the 10 points will go to the most informative answer:)

Gifts to Celebrities? Nascar Drivers? PPL you admire???
I have no idea why anyone would do something like that except as a bizarre attention getting exercise. I have even less idea why people have %26quot;heroes%26quot; or a fans. I%26#039;ve met and worked with famous people most of my life, including senior politicians, sports %26quot;stars%26quot;, senior churchmen in several christian sects (catholic, uniting church, anglican and mormon), artists, authors and media figures. They are all just humans. The very best achievers in most fields tend to be selfish, driven people (you have to be to get that good).





The cults of personality are based on the most idiotic of pretenses any way. Why aren%26#039;t brilliant scientists, humanitarians, philosophers, researchers and the like admired instead of the plethora of %26quot;celebreties%26quot; whose only claim to fame is that they get paid insane amounts of money for being able to read lines on film, lip synch badly to appallingly written pop music, or simply happen to be famous because they have rich parents?
Reply:There is no way I would send a gift to a celeb for entertaining me. There gift is fame and fortune, they got more than I do, so if I can afford it they would not want it anyway.


They are only people, You do realize this I hope



visual arts

No comments:

Post a Comment